FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an "independent travel agent"--what's the catch?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:32 pm
Retale_88

Originally Posted by 3ata
The last time I did book an agent rate the hotel did not want to let me have it at checkin even though I had business cards, IATAN card and information with me showing I was on company business. They wanted a letter from management on company letterhead as well. Only after I told them that I could get a letter faxed the next morning from our headquarters would they let me check in at the agent rate. They said it was because so many non legitimate "agents" abused the policy. That really makes makes me mad.
Completely understandable. And, FWIW, thanks to the information in this thread, I think I'll pass on becoming an "independent agent." But the point of my post was merely to figure out why this offer seemed too good to be true. Not to revel in the fact that "hey, I'm going to become a pseudo-travel agent and get all the discounts automatically when I show my fake travel agent ID card!" Sidenote: InteleTravel says in it's user guide that, upon request, it will provide their agents with letterhead stating their affiliation with the company.

This thread is closed as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the input everyone.