View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 03, 12:28 pm
House

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
As long as you are at Paddington an absolute minimum of 2 hours before the flight, you can check in all your bags at Paddington through to your final destination (they are loaded into a container, onto the train, and then taken from the Heathrow rail station to the apron). You use the Star Alliance desks (Desks 18-20 if I recall correctly).

The great advantage of this is convenience and no queues (you rarely have 2 people in front of you at any time of day). If travelling alone or as a couple from central London, I would take the train every time.

The major drawback of this, with 9 people, is the cost (GBP13 one way, GBP25 round trip on the train!! Even with child reductions for under 14's that is likely to be way more expensive than a couple of people movers).

If you do take the people mover route, look out for the "Group check in" desk located in Zone A of the check in area at Heathrow Terminal 1. I have never used it but with a group of 9 you should be eligible to do so. Should cut down on queuing time (which is normally not that bad anyway).