FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:48 am
Ex Amex Card

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by limamike
i have used it in the past...
Discount codes are one thing, but using a code to lower the rental age - I would be uneasy about that.

If Avis claimed you fraudulently used a discount code that you were not entitled to (which I have never heard of them doing), then they could charge you the full rate for the rental (which you would have paid anyway if you had not used the discount code) so it's no big deal.

But if you had a crash while using the under age rental AWD, and they ruled that you weren't entitled to use that code, they could charge you for the damage done and this could be substantial.

Also remember that there may be an agreement between Avis and the company which owns the AWD code such that the comany underwrites the extra insurance risk for their own employees and would foot a certain amount of the bill if one of their under 25s crashed a car.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that they will investigate any crash where an 18 year old totals one of their vehicles.