FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Champagne and figure eights on ice
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:15 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
THE TRIP BACK

Its five hours back to Adelaide and the mood in the cabin changes markedly. Still very happy mood but no more excitedly rushing around to get the best views. Instead in the seat and talking or watching movies. The airshow shows a sinuous red line where we’ve been over the continent, but tells nothing of the amazing scenery or interesting geology and history we’ve had described.

We get a late lunch over the Balleny Islands at 2:20pm.

Later the captain is again on QCAM, and gives us a 30 minute tour of the instruments! Shortly before landing the cockpit camera (and radio with ATC on PA) is again on for approach over the Coorong, Lake Alexandrina and the Adelaide Hills. We land on runway 23 at 6:50pm. As we pull up to the apron there is only a single, albeit very large, freighter. I’m not sure of the aircraft type but it is very big.

With sadness we leave the aircraft. I rush off to the domestic terminal, hoping to catch the next flight to MEL (Melbourne) which I knew would be tight. After 10 minutes I turn up to see the flight is closed. Oh well – I have enough time for a drink or three at the lounge before the next flight. This flight is uneventful apart from having commentary of the Australian Open on channel 2. Even before we touchdown at MEL it seemed that local hero Lleyton Hewitt was losing after an early advantage. I manage to quickly check-in at Melbourne Airport Hilton (1 minute walk from the terminal) and watch the rest of the match.

Next morning, after a leisurely lie in I head back to AKL. Again it is a 747 flight and I get an F seat. Get some duty free (making the most of NZ’s generous allowances and the recent rise in the NZ$ against the A$) and go to the lounge. NZ lounge at MEL is currently being reconstructed and instead using the UA lounge. This is the first time I have been in this one, and I immediately see it is inferior to the QF lounge so head there instead. (One of the perks of my QF status is being able to use their lounges any time – no matter who I am flying.) The flight back is much as I’d expect –great food and drink. Nice service without being overbearing. Arrival is fairly normal, although the upstairs immigration channel for NZers and aussies is shut.