FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Champagne and figure eights on ice
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:12 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Apologies for the interruption. Now back to the report.

AN EARLY START

An early wake up (scheduled departure time is 6:15am), although I suppose on NZ time (2 1/2 hours ahead) it isnt too bad. A short ride to the international terminal, where the flight is to depart from (and arrive to). At just before 5am there are no scheduled international flights to or from ADL, and so the only check-in signs read “Antarctica flight”. Get given 2 boarding passes which had been pre-printed – as we change seats at the halfway point. One reads Adelaide to Antarctica (ADL-ZZF) and the other reads Antarctica to Adelaide (ZZF-ADL). My sequence numbers are 26 & 27 despite the couple of hundred passengers who have already checked in. As security isn’t opened the landside part of the terminal is crowded with lots of happy but sleepy people. The cafe is doing a roaring trade in coffees.

At 5am the security gates open and we file into airside part of the terminal. No immigration though as this is classed as a domestic flight – one of the longest in the world at 12 hours! The QP is open and so I make my way there for a coffee or two and check my emails. This is my first time in ADL international terminal – it is quite small with not too many scheduled flights. The couple of duty free shops are closed as we are not allowed to purchase duty free.

Somewhat behind schedule, at 6am we are called to board. Others not in the QP had started boarding some time earlier and apparently were all on board (so I thought). I linger as I cant see the point in rushing out of the lounge. For those unfamiliar with Adelaide airport, it is small and does not have any airbridges! Hopefully when the new international terminal is finally finished it will be complete with airbridges. Anyway, the need to climb stairs and the relatively high average age of passengers, means a slow boarding process.

At the gate I noticed the sign was for a MH flight to KUL (Kuala Lumpur), and commented to the gate agent that I hoped the sign was wrong. He laughed and said only 1 other person noticed. On the way out to the tarmac we are handed a large envelope with information kit and some maps. Crossing the tarmac to the stairs, the 747 looks bigger from this perspective than the more usual one from airbridge or lounge window.

I don’t know how, but I managed to get a bulkhead seat. Perfect! Makes it much easier to cross from side to side to look out the windows. Settling in to the pre-departure drink and from the lack of hurry of the FAs to clean up it is apparent that despite being the last from the lounge we are waiting on someone. Eventually the last couple of passengers appear and we prepare for take-off. I wonder how the delay will impact on the amount of time over Antarctica (we all hope not) and also on whether I can make the flight to Melbourne tonight. Never mind will put it out of mind until we get back.

Flight QF2903 Adelaide to Adelaide (via Antarctica)
Aircraft VH-OJR “City of Bathurst”
Captain John, co-pilot Peter, 1st officer Shawn