FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Champagne and figure eights on ice
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:41 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
PRELIMINARIES

In 2004 I flew directly over the North Pole (on my way from EWR-SIN) and in 2005 I had a chance to fulfil a dream of mine from way back, to fly over South Pole (magnetic that is).

Apologies in advance for lack of pictures - I dont have digital camera but trying to arrange some pics from fellow pax. Thanks for your patience. In the meantime I will post some links to pics already on the net. In any event, the pictures do not do any justice to the viewing. Simply stunning.

===================

GETTING STARTED

As mentioned I have long wanted to fly over Antarctica - for stunning scenery, unique geology, pristine wilderness and interesting history. But mostly because it is by far the most comfortable way to see Antarctica - no roughing it on a week-long boat voyage from NZ or Australia across the Roaring Forties and Screaming Fifties, no several day flight and boat voyage via Ushuaia in South America, no need for cold weather gear or cramped conditions. No siree, I wanted to go in style, albeit without actually making it onto the continent.

There have been no commercial flights to Antarctica from NZ since the 1979 Erebus crash [post link]. I didnt fancy trying to qualify for the scientific expeditions and flights from Christchurch NZ (visit the Antarctica centre [link here] if you get a chance - only a short walk from the airport). So the next best thing was a charter from Australia.

Croydon Travel arrange several flights each year, operated by Qantas. Unfortunately no miles but sometimes there are more important things. For more information see their website www.antarcticaflights.com.au

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:11 pm