FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:35 am
gunnar

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by around the world
Just curious if any of you on the boards ever used American Express Global Card Transfer in order to fast-track the opening of a new account in a foreign country. I'm an International Business student in the UK and am having a hard time getting approved for a credit as my credit score here isn't have enough (naturally because I don't have any established credit here).

Then I learned of Amex Global Card Transfer, called up new accounts in the UK, and requested it. They took my details in the UK and my US account number. The call lasted no more than 2 minutes and I was told I'll receive a call within 7 days.
I recently used this service after moving from the UK to the US. I have a UK Gold charge card and asked for a US green charge card (don't see the point of wasting money on fees). I phoned the number given on the US web site for these transfers (special account services or some such). They asked for the expected details like UK card number, US employer, income, etc. and basically approved me on the spot. They wanted to verify my address though, so I had to fax a utility bill. The card arrived a couple of weeks later.

The service was very good, but I think it was useful that I phoned the special services people who were clearly accustomed to this kind of request. The normal customer service would have probably had no clue. I agree that this Global Transfer service is AMEX's best feature and it was the main reason for me getting a UK AMEX a year ago.

Regarding getting a credit card as a foreign student in the UK, I'd suggest trying RBS. Five years ago when I came to the UK they gave me a VISA (with a rather low limit though) when various other banks had turned me down for having no UK credit history.

I really don't understand why financial institution discriminate so much against people who move from one country to another, unless they are ridiculuosly wealthy and have large sums squirreled away in offshore accounts... Surely such people are potentially very lucrative customers and a "good risk", since they tend to have good jobs and enough skills and initiative to go abroad.

Sorry, rant over, good luck in the UK.