FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Verizon is blocking all incoming e-mail from outside the USA!!!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:25 pm
SarahWest

Originally Posted by stimpy
Welcome to the club. I get a child who has a few years of playing with an email server tell me I don't know anything about my profession of the last 20 years. Now if you had simply pointed out the error I made during my quick 5 minute test, we would be fine.
Now which five minute test would that be? The entrails or the swinging crystal? I have pointed out numerous errors you have made and you have chosen to ignore the facts. You now graciously admit that you might have made one slight error.

Originally Posted by SarahWest
The standard traceroute included with Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS and almost every other operating system does a host lookup by default.
Originally Posted by stimpy
It never used to and internet veterans don't generally rely on such information, especially when tracing spam.

First learn how internet routing works (at the BGP level), then you will understand how traceroute tells you where to go.
I have no problem whatsoever understanding how internet routing works. What I do have problems understanding is how you deduce where an IP address comes from so answer the question please. Exactly how do you determine where an IP address comes from without resorting to using either a DNS or a WHOIS query? You even use WHOIS to query AS numbers that your traceroute may show. How did your traceroute throw up any hostnames let alone an NTL one?

Again, it's about trusting machine information rather than human-supplied information that can be subverted by other sources. If an ISP starts advertising incorrect blocks from other AS's, then he will get slammed by his peers who do a pretty good job of policing. But there is no such "police" for DNS.
No, maybe there isn't but how often is DNS compromised in the real world? How often does a DNS system running multiple Unix servers in three different geographical locations with three different flavours of Unix behind three different firewalls shuffle from this mortal coil and die allowing someone to hijack the domain. Not too often I suspect.

I honestly don't recall what I did that popped up NTL. That was a quick late night test I did to see if that message came from England or not. Obviously I can see now that the sending address was not in the UK. I will stay tuned to see if I get any other mail from the UK at my Verizon address.
Maybe the chicken that you studied the entrails came from a bird with situs inversus - that's a real bummer for the professional entrail reader, believe me.

But that information cannot easily be subverted by outside sources whereas DNS can be and often is especially by spammers. Understand?
No, I admit I am having considerable problems understanding how spammers can spoof DNS in an email - perhaps you could provide me with some nursery grade examples that I might be able to understand.

I'm not a hacker, but you've clearly demonstrated a lack of understanding of the risks involved which is perhaps why Verizon is blocking your server. I've shown you other non-US servers which do have access to Verizon, but you keep ignoring those facts and slamming me with personal attacks. Very nice.
No, I have accepted that you are able to receive email from both India and France. There are major problems however not just with my UK based servers. Want some facts about it? A class action lawsuit was launched against Verizon in the past few days precisely because of their blocking - see Verizon faces lawsuit over email blocking. You can also read further details about their blocking Verizon persists with European email blockade

If I'm not much mistaken only a few postings ago you stated authoritatively that Verizon wasn't blocking email from overseas servers. That is not really correct is it?