FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:08 pm
Goodmorning2U

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Service
I am happy to report that the Excelsior is still providing exceptional service. Of special note is the concierge service. There were always at least 2 and often 3 smartly dressed concierge available to answer questions/give suggestions. The restaurant suggestions we most appreciated were Bucco Mario's and Cafe Italiano.

Rooms
We had a grand deluxe room on the fifth floor with a large terrace equiped w/ two chairs and a small table overlooking the duomo and surrounding hills. The interior of the rooms are comfortable but not luxurious, i.e. they have "heavenly" beds but do not have plasma tv's, seperate showers, or designer toiletries. The lights beside the bed were small and difficult to read by.

The rooms on the lower levels have been remodeled more recently than those on the higher floors i.e. they have larger lamps besides the beds, cream marble in the bathrooms instead of red, and ivory wallpaper rather than green leaf patterns. Rooms on the second floor (or noble floor) have higher ceilings.

Loyalty Treatment
If you are a platinum member the highest category they will upgrade to are the grand delux suites of which there are two. These rooms have seperate showers and are slated to have plasma televisions installed.

Gym
The gym was recently remodeled with Technogym machines, the best I have ever used. Each cardio machine has interactive touch screen tvs w/ fan. If you don't want to touch the screen there is a toggle on the right side which allows you to control the speed functioning in the same way as a joy stick. There is a small refrig. stocked with sports drinks and juices for no charge as well as a small fruit basket. The bathroom has a wonderful marble shower but oddly no place to put toiletries. The westin brand toiletries are well stocked and located just outside the bathroom. Towels, robes, and slippers are also provided.

Other Hotels
We visited The Grand across the piazza and felt that the decoration of these rooms was slightly nicer than the Excelsior but none of there rooms as a large terrace or views of the city, some of their rooms have small balconettes or views of the Arno.

For true luxury in accomodations but similar, perhaps lesser service the Lungarno is worth considering. The decoration of there rooms was fresh with high quality fabrics, cool colors throughout, and excellent lighting. Almost all of their rooms have small balconies with views of the Arno and Ponte Vecchio. On the downside, their rooms are significantly smaller and at the time we checked more expensive than the Excelsior.

Florence Suggestions
Book in advance for the Uffizzi or you will wait in line for hours...The luxury hotels can make reservations for you.
Visit the Pitti palace in the morning or the early afternoon so that you can enjoy the gardens behind the palace.