FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hampton Inn & Suites Fresno {US-CA}
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:55 pm
Non-NonRev
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Chinatown was/is on the other side of the Southern Pacific tracks. If you stood at the corner of Tulare and H (Greyhound station and the new baseball stadium) then walked over the tracks, you'd be there.

A (very general) boundary would be the rectangle formed by Frersno Street, Freeway 99, Inyo Street and G Street. Despite its name, Chinatown also had Japanese places (like the Aki Department Store at Kern and G Streets) and several Mexican places, such as the Mexico Cafe on E Street and F Street's Azteca Theatre, a movie theatre where my father took my siblings and myself in a (vain) attempt to have us absorb Spanish. My father was a cook, and he knew most of the restaurant/coffee shop employees in the area - when I about 5 years old I would often tag along as he visited his friends in these places on his day off.

There was (is) also a big Buddhist temple at Kern and E, next to the Danish Creramery dairy.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jan 9, 2005 at 6:01 pm