FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Laptop Power Adapter/Europe Power Plugs
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:57 pm
SEA_Tigger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
1. I'm flying CO and the 777 has power adapters in certains eats. CO's website doesn't mention what the output of the power adapter in the seat is. In the event that the seat power adapter doesn't put out 90W, can I take the battery out of my notebook and use only juice from the seat power adapter instead?
Most airplane systems provide 70 watts maximum, but if you take out the battery you should be fine. Or you can charge the battery while the laptop is off.

2. I have an AT&T Wireless GSM phone that supposedly works in the UK (according to my company). I noticed that the power adapter for this phone only has a 110V input. Do I need to buy a transformer to charge this phone?
If the adapter is rated only for 110V, then you will need a step-down transformer to reduce the 220V of UK to 110V.

3. Radioshack sells plug adapters for use in the UK (among other places). Is this all I need?
For the laptop, yes. I bought the RS adapter set and my HP zd7000 also autosenses. Note the RC set is a two-prong input, so buy the 3-prong to 2-prong adapter. Worked like a charm in my hotel in London.