FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - flew Intra-Asia out of NRT in business class, why are the flight attendants so scary?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:22 pm
tcook052
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mdb
Heasdstrong - you may be right, but I think good service is good service period. The reason that age may be a factor is not specifically the age itself, but the "welcoming" attitude of the individual. Weather right or wrong an attractive smiling face is more welcome than a "haggard" "whatever" look. Looks at the sales profession - in general - more attractive people have more success. FWIW - a nice smile and well kept appearance(regardless of age) makes everyone look more attractive... and projects a more welcoming image - in any culture and in any business.

Fully & completely agree. ^

While there may be a case for the earlier poster who talked about two different and distinct cultures at play, I think some of it has to be due to N. Americans willingness to accept or at least tolerate poor customer service. How many times have I heard the all too familiar sigh from a customer service rep. at an airline/hotel/car rental because they actually have to do work to complete my request/reservation/reward or whatever. I don't tend to find that type of attitude as often when I'm abroad. Just my .02 cents, of course.