FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Paris La Defense {FRA} (France)
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2004, 5:47 pm
JohnAA48

Programs: AAdvantageEXP, Southwest FF, Hhonors
I just stayed at the Hilton La Defense inParis two weeks ago. It is quite nice, not far (via metro) to L'Etoile, les Champs Elysee, and other notable Paris sites. Room I was given as a Diamond was nice, newly renovated as a "Relaxation room," though it was simply a clean room with a nice work area and large bathroom. It is an odd place, located WITHIN another building (CNIT) which is a kind of office building, limited mall area. Very unusual, but the double walls, windows provided by this arrangement made the hotel exceptionally quiet. I had some problems (not an unfrequent complaint in most Hiltons anywhere these days) with making contact with the promised wi-fi Internet connection, but they graciously fixed things for me and it worked fine. No Executive Lounge (surprising for the rates and location), but a great breakfast buffet on tghe top (5th) floor. My biggest hassle was the late room clean up. I was out from early onemorning until about 4 and the room had yet to be serviced. Gave me a glass of wine but it didn't allow me to get the nap I needed before a dinner meeting.

This is an odd part of Paris not known to tourists. It's a bit like the Denver Tech Center or staying out in Schaumburg near Chicago, but it is very quick and close to the tourist stuff. The shopping mall across the plaza from the CNIT complex is, by European standards, very big and busy. Restaurants, lots of typical mall stores, movie houses, etc. Don't expect to see any big department store, however. Those are found about four or five subway stops away.

In general, the hotel is more like one of the suburban Hiltons in the US. It is quite nice, but you really don't realize that you are in Paris, France (as opposed to Paris, Texas) when you are there. Good place to stay, but don't expect postcard memories. Best Hilton in Paris is still the Paris Hilton (the place, not the kid).