FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 100% EQMs on Delta LUT fares from 1/1/05
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:05 pm
cmdinnyc

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gldwebs
I doubt it...If you think about the dates it dropped last (nov 18-Dec 31), that was perfectly timed with the Turkey Day and Christmas travelling period. I think this change was to bring in more money and will happen again at the end of the year...
I don't think it's anything so conspiratorial or sinister...

NW, DL, and CO are "independently" attempting to maintain consistency among the EQMs awarded.

On CO-operated flights, CO awards 50% EQMs for cheap fares to CO FF accounts, so NW and DL do the same for theirs.

On NW-operated flights, NW was awarding 100% EQMs for cheap fares to its FF accounts. However, DL and CO were only awarding 50% EQMs for their own flights to their own FF accounts, so they likewise gave 50% EQMs on NW-operated flights to be consistent with how they treat their own FFs on their own metal.

On DL-operated flights, DL was awarding 50% EQMs for cheap fares to DL FF accounts, so CO did the same, and NW was merely moving in line with that scheme.

When DL announced their changes, NW was just moving back in line. And as part of their changes, DL now offers 100% EQMs on NW flights but only gives 50% EQMs on CO flights, as CO only gives 50% EQMs to CO FF accounts.

Keep in mind NW had announced the 50% EQMs on DL and backed off several times due to confusion and inconsistency in their announcements and rules on the web site. They'd finally straightened it out in November and gave the appropriate notification, when a few weeks later, DL changed its mind about the whole process.

* FF = Frequent Flyer

** CO offers 100% EQMs to CO-operated, CO FF accounts when booked on co.com.

*** Kudos to anyone who can follow my logic here. But IIRC, there are limits on how much the three carriers can actively "align" their FF programs as part of their codeshare agreement, so I wouldn't be surprised if they "telegraphic" moves to one another based on their announcements, and let their codeshare partners read about it like everyone else.