FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sun Valley, ID or Bend, OR?
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:49 am
Chemystery

Originally Posted by sinfonia
I have been wanting to see Banff! And Glacier National Park was first on the list as we've also never seen that but very much want to. (We did not consider the ticketed entry system which is definitely something to consider when we finally get there.) Coastal Oregon was also on the list. Unfortunately, logistics are limiting us away from any of those options for this trip, although we absolutely need to get to all of those sometime in the next few years!
<snip>
Given our logistical limitations, we will either be flying into Boise or Redmond (though I think Seattle or Spokane is a possibility) so we thought of Sun Valley or Bend.
Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise will be my next big road trip, I cannot wait to visit the Canadian Rockies. You'll love Glacier when you get there, it's gorgeous. Just be sure to keep opening dates for Going to the Sun Road in mind when planning, as well as historical trail opening dates if you are planning to do hiking, especially things like Grinnell Glacier (highly recommend). August is probably good, but early July can be dicey depending on the year.

If you're planning to do Sun Valley, you could check Pocatello and Idaho Falls in addition to Boise, just in case there are any good airfare deals (unusual, but it happens). Also, it would be a much shorter drive to fly into Salt Lake than Redmond, Spokane or Seattle, if that's something you would consider. Happy planning, and hope you have a great trip.