FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sun Valley, ID or Bend, OR?
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:56 am
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've only been to Bend once. Last July, for a day, after visiting friends who were staying in SunRiver (a planned recreational community south of Bend).

It was over 100 degrees in Bend (pretty hot in Sun River, too).

I will admit I did not see much of Bend, just went from our hotel near downtown to pick up dinner downtown and bring it back to the hotel (we had a kitchen). The traffic was HORRENDOUS, could not find a place to park so I kept circling until husband got the food. The heat was horrendous.

Now I also have been to another planned recreational community near Bend (this one to the Northwest) called Black Butte Ranch for a weekend. I thought that was lot prettier than SunRiver, we had a unit with a view of the Sisters Mountains which was just lovely. They had several pool areas, and it really was a nice "resort" feel.

Bend truly just is a working/living city, but people do love it. I admit I was negatively colored by the heat and traffic, but that's the way I perceived it.

There aren't a lot of really high end Hiltons or Marriotts in town, but one trick I've heard is that if you stay at the Hampton Inn you can clearly hear any concerts that are at the outdoor amphitheater next door - so check the schedule. It used to be called the Les Schwab amphitheater but has a different name now.

To me the prettiest part of Oregon is the coast.

But I just want to add: I've been to many of the places on your past list, and agree they are unique and beautiful, but one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I've been might be a bit "north" for you - Banff and its surrounding lakes. I'm sure when you mentioned Jackson Hole and Yellowstone you just left off the Grand Tetons? As beautiful as they were, I still liked Banff better. Not sure if you'd consider a trip to Canada.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Mar 21, 2023 at 1:38 am