FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last-minute reservation booked with Miles for family emergency - lessons to learn?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:38 am
lvdpol

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
if you had a night in paris between your arrival and departure on the next day it would not have been a problem to short check the bags. air france does charge a hefty fee to retrieve bags mid journey. it has been like that since a couple of years, the price recently increased from 250€ to the price you mentioned.
external agents at the airport have very little rights and permissions to fulfill special requests - often they are poorly trained (I just had one agent who asked me "what is a frequent flyer number" when i asked her to change it at check-in) and can just perform standard tasks that they were trained on.
short checking bags without a valid reason (e.g. overnight at the transit airport) won't be done (for free) by any airline - except you have an extremely service oriented agent with speicial permissions.

also modifying reward tickets is not possible according to flying blue terns&conditions. when you voluntatily want to make a change you have to cancel the ticket and rebook - (no exceptions).
Last time I had a ticket booked with a stop over (connection just over 24h) in AMS. KLM flights though. Bags were checked until AMS at point of origin but did not show up at the luggage carousel, so thought went to file a claim.
Agent said after some investigation that my bag was on the flight and offloaded in AMS but their system relabelled it to my final destination the next day! I requested to have the bag retreived and they made a problem out of that. They wanted me to pay this fee too. After 30min of argueing and couple of phone calls they released my bag. Lost more than 90 minutes on this.