FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of award availability closer to travel
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:07 pm
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by aquaroohi
thank you so much for this once again. I did exactly this, but was told I cannot hold any fares or waitlist. So it didn’t really lead me to a solution but I will keep it noted for the future. I definitely was very polite and it really got me all the answers to my many questions.
at this time, I’m thinking abt booking one ticket on cash and the second as a companion award, which is a different strategy altogether.
thank you again, you have been very kind!
From "remote", I can not tell what the solution would be. Only that it helps to understand the call center person's position and work from there. For now, you got a lot of extra information, which does give you an idea in which direction to solve your item. That's already a very important step.

Let me give another example: I often get some staff members at my desk, asking "Cambo, what do we do with this, we have no idea, and it can not be done ?".

The short answer is: "I don't know either".

But, we do have an idea in which rough direction a for us suitable solution would go. Let us explore ideas and options in that direction and see what comes out of that. This method needs to be repeated 1-2-3 times and (usually) converges to a solution, acceptable for both parties. And with hindsight, it is often so "obvious" that specific solution did come up, but at the beginning, it looked like an unsolvable chaos.

Banging on a closed door is not something that works. What does work, is a soft knock and find out what is behind, so you can use that info to find a suitable "hole" in the closed door.