FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On Board Dog & Allergy
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:42 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Flying to DFW in Business. Got on board and settled into my seat, a short while later a fellow passenger takes the seat in front of me, complete with a small dog. The dog doesn't have a 'working dog' style jacket on so I can only assume it's an emotional support dog or similar and of course has been given permission to board.

Now I have a pretty bad allergy to dogs.
So does my kid. We've been through this more than a few times.

Even hypoallergenic ones.
There's no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, that's just marketing. Even the American Kennel Club admits that.

However I think there's probably enough space between us for it not to be an issue. However ten mins later my symptoms start appearing.

I go speak to the crew, I explain I have an allergy, that my medication which would help it is in my checked luggage (I wasn't assuming that there'd be a dog on board) and asking what they could do.
That mistake is on you. Rescue medication should always be on your person.

I was told the flight was full in business and there was nothing they could do. They refused to ask anyone else to reseat and said if it was going to be a problem for me they could move me to economy. Those were my options. So basically they were offering no help at all.

I suppose the point for discussion is what is the airline meant to do in this instance. The fact that they refused to ask other passengers seemed weird to me. If someone hadn't overheard us I would have taken it upon myself to ask other passengers if anyone minded switching. Equally the downgrade didn't seem like a fun option when I'd paid full fare business.

Is there a duty of care to one passenger over another? Assuming this is an emotional support animal then of course they have a duty of care to that passenger and their dog, however is their no duty of care to fellow passengers who are put out by this, be it allergies, fear of dogs or any other reason? Does one passenger trump another's needs? I know if I'd had to stay in that seat the flight would have been hellish with constant streaming of eyes, sneezing and a sore throat.
That might be hellish for you, but a bigger issue is are you still able to breath? My kid would be in severe respiratory distress if confined in a closed space that close to a dog.

So, what say you?
You don't mention where you boarded the plane, but I'm guessing UK. The info I can provide is based on American law, so not relevant to an ex UK departure, but might be helpful on your return flight from DFW.

Number 1 thing, always contact the airline in advance and request that "severe allergy to dogs" be noted on your reservation. With that, you have some basis to complain if suddenly there is a dog near you. Absent that, you'll likely get the response you did: nothing cabin crew will do.

Pre-boarding: ask at the gate if there are any dogs on the flight, and if they are seated near you. Request a change if necessary before boarding, being sure to reference the fact that you notified the airline in advance of your allergy. You may be asked if you are carrying rescue medication, and asked to show it to them - having it on you usually motivates GA's to take you seriously.

If the dog is a legitimate service animal, you, as a human with an allergy, will probably come in second place, but the airline is still required to make reasonable efforts to accommodate you, and generally that means moving you to a seat further away from the dog. Airline staff is allowed to ask questions to determine if the dog is really a service animal according the Air Carrier Access Act . If it is not, your medical issue, if you have informed the airline advance, should take precedence over a pet.

Again, the info I can offer is relevant to ex USA departures, not universal. However, it would be worth checking to see if UK law offers similar protection to people with severe allergies.