FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WoH 2023 Category Changes to Take Effect on Mar 28
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:17 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Are there truly more CAT 5s and less CAT 4s than there were 10 years ago? If so I'd agree they should update. But if the %s are the same and just hotels moved around within the buckets, then they shouldn't (or at least have no need to) update.

However the CAT 1-7 should be updated to CAT 8. That award used to cover all hotels and now it doesn't. And the "doesn't" is an ever growing number.
I don't have the homework done, but I think so yes. The matter of the fact is that 5 years ago (don't need to go back 10 years), the Cat1-4 certificates got you options for mid-range full service hotels. Now those options are way less. Personally, there are about five hotels that I have in the past used my Cat1-4 certificates that I no longer can, and I think everyone else has a similar experience. And there are pretty few Cat1-4s coming online worth mentioning -- For a few hot months the Thompson Madrid was a choice (now gone). I guess for me, the only new option that I often use is HC Memphis.