FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien, Bora Bora (rebranding to Westin, Opening May 2024) [Master Thread]
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:56 am
UASPG

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Passing by the Le Meridien this year, as well as last year, I was under the impression that the old bungalows became bigger. In fact, the size is the same, but they made the patios larger.
That probably explains why the next brand will not be W, The Edition or Ritz-Carlton, are those usually require a larger square footage.

It seems that Marriott is telling the owners of properties operating under the Le Meridien brand is not very well known in many countries and that switching to a better-known brand will bring in more bookings.
Starwood did a very good job after they acquired the brand and I don't see travelers being more attracted to a Westin (with its business, neutral decor image) when they visit Bora Bora. I understand that they are trying to stick a healthy lifestyle (food, exercise) image to the brand, but when I think about Westin, that is definitely not the first image that I have in mind.

Le Meridien properties that have been or are being rebranded:

- Plaza Athenee Le Meridien (this one made sense, but the hotel was probably better when it was under the Le Meridien's name).
- Le Meridien Piccadilly
- Le Meridien Chiang Mai
- Le Meridien Bora Bora
and at least another one that I cannot recall.

At the same time, Marriott is communicating about "revamping" the brand.

https://hospitality-on.com/en/hospit...diens-branding

Last edited by UASPG; Apr 29, 2023 at 1:36 pm