FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:35 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Big news: The Villas are not, in fact, the standalone villas on the north end of the property.

I am currently here on property. Just spent two nights at the St. Regis and came here for 3 nights because the top category "Villa" (One King Bed Villa Premier) was available at the same rate as a basic room on my corp rate ($364 + taxes/fees per night, about $469/night total, so not cheap, but worth checking out for the advertised 1,050 square feet... and much less than the $1000+ per night that these rooms appear to be listed for later normally).

I had an inkling of this based on the room description, but the Villas now available for booking online are not, in fact, the standalone (well, duplex, really) units on the north end of the property with the private pools. Those remain a mystery, I guess only the owners, their friends, and chosen influencers get to stay in those. These Villas are instead simply larger units in condo-style buildings just south of the main lobby area, with a separate parking lot. They apparently just opened in the last two months, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were among the first few guests in our current unit. Everything looks new.

The Regency Club was confirmed to be closed, apparently permanently. When I asked about a replacement credit, the agent went to ask someone and came back with an offer of $25/day in F&B credit for any outlet. I also had to ask at check-in about a welcome drink and was given two vouchers. (The agent seemed new and was friendly, I don't think she was trying to dodge that.) The agent also said parking was free as a globalist, but I won't be surprised if that turns out to be false given that I'm not on an award rate.

The Villa buildings (called "residences" on the on-property signage) do not look like anything special from the outside. And, as with the other buildings, the rooms have outdoor corridors (though, to be fair, so does the St. Regis if you think about it--and although both this property and the St. Regis have security gates on the roads, theoretically anyone could, given some effort, wander in off the public beach). At first, I was bummed that we were not in fact staying in the standalone villas... but that all changed when we got to the room and realized (1) the room is huge and nice and new, (2) there is a separate pool and poolside bar on this side, and (3) we actually didn't want to be over by the activity of the main pool, the main units, and the smells and sounds we experienced there last time. This is way better. Happy to answer questions later on, here are some pics for now:

living room

kitchenette area

kitchenette (mugs and glasses were provided along with coffee and glass (!) bottles of still and sparkling Voss water, but no other plates/utensils/cookware -- there is no stove)

shower and one toilet

part of the bathroom

shower

other part of the bathroom, with giant bathtub, second toilet, and second sink

large separate bedroom

large outdoor patio with partial ocean and pool view (advertised as "garden view" but it is better than that)

view from patio

pool area

outdoor corridors (not our room #)

these "Villas" are the buildings around #25, which is the separate pool