FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: ISO Israeli Lawyer to sue AA
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:10 pm
Jzlerner

Originally Posted by guv1976
I see from the other thread that you did file a complaint with DOT, AA responded, and you responded with additional information. Have you heard anything from DOT since? Even for violations of U.S. law, DOT cannot order AA to compensate a passenger; it can only fine AA, if it deems it appropriate to do so. But by forwarding a complaint to an airline employee tasked with responding to DOT complaints, the passenger sometimes ends up with a more favorable outcome.

Is there some reason why you did not book your own hotel during the BDA diversion, and then seek reimbursement for that from either AA or your own travel insurance (if you had any for that trip).

Have you looked at AA's Contract of Carriage to determine what its obligations are in cases of diversion? If AA violated its own contract, DOT might be very interested in that.

I see that 10,000 NIS is roughly equivalent to $2,975 USD. How much do you realistically expect to be able to recover from a lawsuit, and how much are you willing to pay an Israeli lawyer -- if you can find one -- for the chance of achieving such a recovery? As the old saying goes, "Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze."
I don't want to repeat myself on this thread as it's not the subject at hand but simply put:

Didn't book a hotel room as AA didn't let us out the gate area, not even to the terminal throughout the entire ordeal. AA blamed it on Bermuda, Bermuda put out a press release saying they granted an exemption to the passengers and had COVID testers standing by. I'm inclined to believe a Government with nothing to lose rather than an airline with potentially thousands in accommodation costs.

​​​​​​Couldn't care less about the cost of a lawyer. I have insurance for a significant amount for legal fees even in persuit of compensation. And even still, it's NIS 10,000 per breach of the law. So 10,000 for no food, no accommodation, no communication assistance, failure to pay legally require compensation within 45 days, failure to notify passengers of their rights etc... That's NIS 50,000 right there. (approx $14,000). Although, it could be $1 and it wouldn't change my position. I have nothing to lose (costs insured) and lots to gain

Just need to find a lawyer...