FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - any recent Aeroflot experience in J or F?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:29 pm
chalf
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Give it a try

I flew SU LHR-SVO in J last week, as an alternative to BA CE. SU was also only approximately 55% of the price. Based on my experience, I will be flying SU more frequently, particularly as I discovered today that 2 J returns earn enough Aeroflot Bonus points for a RT SVO-HEL, and 3 J returns earns enough for a RT LHR-SVO. Try that on BA!

LHR-SVO, SU242
Check-in at LHR is T2. The lounge is shared with AF, among others. While not up to the level of a BA Terraces lounge, it was quite adequate for a short wait. It was bright and well-spaced (i.e., not crowded even when reasonably full). The newspaper supply on a Sunday still included the weekend FT, IHT and a number of English and French papers. Lounge: BA, slightly

The aircraft is a new A321, configured with 28 seats in J. Seating is 2-2; the seats are large and leather covered, with footrests. Tray tables are in the armrest. Seats have adjustable seats and lumbar supports, in addition to significant recline (I'm not sure how many degrees, but it was definitely far more than CE on BA). Seat: SU, by a lot

Service began with hot towels and tablecloths. This was followed by beverage service and a snack mix of nuts and dried fruit (excellent, much better than the salty nuggets BA offers). Wine, champagne and even hard liquor was served from the bottle. The wine was quite good, equivalent to the best I have had on BA CE. Beverages: Even

The meal was a choice of three entrees: fish, pork or chicken(?). I selected the salmon. The preparation was Russian-themed (fish, a little sauce, potatoes), but quite acceptable. It was noticeably less salty than what BA generally serves. Rolls and [Russian] brown bread are also served, as well as dessert and a small piece of cheese. Tea and coffee service follows, as well as a small hazlenut chocolate. ^ Food: Even - BA has far better cheese and more flavorful food, but only through the addition of massive quantities of salt; the chocolate is a nice touch

The SU FAs were quite willing to provide extra glasses of water when asked, and even in a large enough size to be useful (I find the BA CE glasses are miniscule for water). The FAs also were helpful about passing out arrival cards (BA FAs are often clueless arriving in Moscow). SVO is incurable, but at least in J one beats the queues at entry.

SU247, SVO-LHR
On a Friday night before a holiday weekend traffic out to SVO was horrible--100 minutes from just south of the Kremlin. I was among the last passengers to check-in, 70 minutes before departure. Normalky plenty of time, but this IS SVO. Passport control looked to have interminable lines, until I (and about 50 others) saw that a few agents on the opposite side were opening. We rushed under the railings to form an impromptu queue. While it gradually became more ordered, I had a few amusing moments listening to the Russian couple behind me discuss how disorderly the line was. This is a discussion I would expect to hear in the US or UK, but not in Russia! Airport: BA- but not by as much as most believe (I think the competition has been good for SVO).

Due to the general delays, I skipped the lounge--boarding was called almost immediately after I cleared passport control, though of course no one made any effort to even open the gate for another 15 minutes.

The aircraft was the same configuration as on the outbound, and service and food were generally similar (though the fish was even blander--should have ordered the chicken). Food choices were fish, beef or chicken. The wine, however, was again very good. The chocolate was presented almost immediately following the meal, instead of after a short delay.

Summary
I was favorably impressed. SVO and somwhat blander food are the only downsides, but at £870 return and a significantly better seat as compared to £1650+ on BA I'll put up with it.

As an added benefit, the flights posted in two business days to my Aeroflot Bonus account. On BA 80+% of the time I must write a letter to AAdvantage requesting credit, despite cards being presented, number being printed on boarding pass, etc.

Last edited by chalf; Dec 14, 2004 at 3:41 pm