FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:30 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by someone
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the wisdom here. We have 100k BE points expiring on 2/28/23 and not a clue how best to use them. Some questions:
  • Is the consensus here that BE point expiration is unlikely to be extended beyond 2/28/23, to conform to the concurrent changes in the AAdvantage program?
  • Are old accounts exempted from the Jan 1 $5k/3person requirement for redemption?
  • North America "PlanAAhead" inventory seems awfully low -- are others getting good availability? Similarly, are others able to use BXP1/BXP3 or is there low inventory?
  • Are partner awards worth it at all? Consensus seems to be AA metal is the way to go. Which certificate codes seem to have the most bang for the buck?
  • Do BE redemptions earn tier points on British Airways?
  1. I definitely don't see any more point expiration extensions. If they're set to expire 2/28 then that's what I would fully expect to have happen.
  2. No, no exemptions to the $5k/3 traveler requirement.
  3. PlanAAhead inventory is stupid low, this matches up with AA's typical sAAver space which has become very hard to find since the introduction of dynamic web special space. Upgrade space is a different animal, I personally get great value out of BE upgrades but you need to know how to play the game.
  4. "Worth it" is subjective, these awards are very expensive and you still need award space on the partner flight, which may or may not be harder than AA flights.
  5. No, BE redemptions are award flights and don't earn any miles, tier points, etc.
For years I have kept BE points from expiring by simply redeeming for flight awards and then going in the next day and canceling/redepositing the award. You can do this online, and the points are put back with new expiration date +3 years. I would test that out before just blowing through 100k of awards you may or may not actually use.