FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade J to F with miles
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:24 am
asdf098

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Datapoint: Upgrade during DXB transit

I couldn't find many reports on upgrading the ex-DXB leg on an XXX-DXB-YYY itinerary where points upgrades are not available in advance online. I faced this situation myself this weekend so sharing a data point below.
  • I had booked HKG-BKK-DXB-BRU in Business Saver around 2 weeks ago for a trip yesterday 1/15. I didn't waitlist but subscribed to the notifications (thinking I'd only transfer miles when availability opens up). Nothing opened up so I was stuck with asking for upgrades at the airport.
  • At HKG check-in, F on the HKG-BKK leg was fully booked. Agent could not touch the other segments, told me to ask in the lounge in DXB. Fine, it's only a 3 hour flight anyways. (Note the BKK-DXB leg was 2-class A380, no First.)
  • EF was showing F4 A2 on DXB-BRU at this point so I figured I had a good shot. That's really the leg I cared about because it has the new F suite. Transfered Amex MRs which showed up instantly.
  • Landed in Dubai with 2.5 hours to departure and rushed to the J lounge (out of a very rational fear that other J upgraders would beat me to the request)...
  • Lounge agent waitlisted me and said would be processed at boarding time but that I "will probably get it".
  • Successfully cleared at boarding into seat 1A. (I knew it had cleared before getting to the gate because I saw the 50,700 miles deducted from my account .)
Flight was amazing and lived up to every expectation as the world's best first class seat. Having flown the new SQ Suites I find the EK hard product clearly superior, but still prefer the consistency and high quality of SQ's soft product (although realizing that EK service can be hit or miss depending on the crew).