FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thailand reverses decision - open to unvaccinated 9 Jan 2023
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:10 pm
Bajdkotb

Originally Posted by behuman
which will alienate young affluent couples from Europe like my friends for whom I arranged a package with Four Seasons staying in Bangkok and the North. As they are not vaccinated (like many young North Europeans) they just canceled. We are talking about a EUR 12 000 spend.

Pleasing the Chinese will have a very high price, not only because not targeting them specifically is a hgh risk, but also because the high end tourism industry will take another hit. Should I renegotiate the rates for my oncoming pleasure trip to wonderful Thailand which I really enjoy since I take it for what it is - a place to relax.

btw: around 50 % of all arrivals from China in MXP and FCO tested positive those last days (source: Corriere della Sera)
Unvaccinated young affluent couples from Europe are in a microscopic minority, posing little to no threat to the Thai economy by staying home. No reasonable person could see an issue with the government prioritizing citizens and residents access to hospitals that would otherwise be overrun by unvaccinated tourists.