FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation
Old Dec 26, 2022, 2:20 pm
Bear96
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Currently FlightAware shows 2687, which is 66% (!!!), of the Southwest flights cancelled for today. I don't think I have ever seen a meltdown of similar epic proportions since 2001. Other airlines are in the single digits with cancellation percentages for today, with the exception of Spirit (16%) and Alaska (14%).
I just checked, WN was at 66% (2677 flights!) cancellations and AA was at 0% (rounded - 12 actual AA cancellations) so far today. So it will be pretty hard for WN to blame this on "nationwide weather conditions affecting the entire industry" (or something similar).

I sure am glad I am done traveling for the year. I thought I would be just short of A+ and was going to have to do a quick out-and-back somewhere to get over the hurdle, but it turned out I went over 70k points and so was OK by Dec. 14. I would not have wanted to have what was going to be a quick TPA-FLL / ATL / TX / wherever half day turn become a multi-day ordeal during my vacation time, OR decide it was too risky and end up 400 miles short of A+.