FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rebooked on connecting flight 14 hours later - options?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:55 am
woobl

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cambo
Checking at FR24 shows, your "off-blocks" in Paris was 1 hour late. Touch-down at HKG was 49 mins after original arrival time. Add 10+ minutes minimum taxi time + delay until door open and your arrival delay was 1 hour. CX239 had a 30 mins off-blocks delay, so, even with "running", it would be unlikely, you would have made it.

Yep, IF both legs were on one itinerary, this qualifies for EU261/2004, unless the delay was outside the airlines' control (an emergency at CDG or something like that). When separate tickets, it's your own risk (even with a free rebooking to a later flight). Your delay to arrive at the final destination, SYD, will be 6+ hours, so the earnings equate to EUR 600 per person.

Anyway, CX does have duty of care towards you. A (free ?) lounge access would be a good replacement for that, since it's a daytime wait (and not an overnight).

Just you understand: Before arrival, the airline already decided you were going to miss your connection, so, even when you would have made it on-time to the CX139 gate, you would have been denied. Most people don't know this .......
Thanks for this very useful information. Both legs were on one itinerary and we were in J, so lounge access was already on the cards.

Weirdly, the FSM came around before pushback to say that they knew the 20 pax on the flight had a tight connect to CX139 and they would help at HKG for everyone to make the connection. I did not hear the reason given for the flight delay on board.

I was sent an email stating they had changed the flight at 0742 HKG time (whilst still in the air). I did not click 'Confirm Flight' however on the email as thought this might deny us something down the line.

Once we disembarked, CX staff we re-issuing boarding passes for the flight changes - they had quite a stack to hand out. Kicking myself I didn't take a photo of the previous ongoing boarding pass, although not sure how much that matters?