FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting PER-AKL-JFK on a separate PNR
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:52 am
Thai-Kiwi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
I'm thinking of booking a series of flights in September 2023 which will require me to connect at AKL on a separate PNR. NZ 176 arrives at 0500 and NZ 2 departs at 1740, so there should be plenty of time to make the connection. From discussions elsewhere, I'm guessing that I would not be able to through-check my luggage from Perth, so I will have to go landside, collect my luggage and check in again. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this score.)

I was wondering, in that case, when I would be able to check in for NZ 2, as I don't want to be hanging around the airport waiting to check in, or schlepping my luggage around town. Would I be able to check in immediately upon arrival in AKL, or do I have to wait for the 3 hour window? I'll be travelling NZ 176 in Y and NZ 2 in J, if it makes any difference. I figure that I won't be able to get much sleep in Y on the red-eye from Perth, so my plan was just to rest in the lounge waiting for the flight to JFK. There is no time limit for the lounge, right? (I know that it's more than 12 hours, but I'm not sure what else to do in that time.) Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
You are aware that with separate tickets you carry all the risk if NZ176 is delayed sufficiently to miss NZ2? Plenty of tine to arrive and collect bags if all goes to plan.

No entitlement for bags to be checked through on separate tix - NZ can be a stickler for this. But certainly ask anyway at PER.

Depending on your nationality, don’t overlook the entry requirements for NZ.

AirNZ did not have a problem with me spending 10 hours in the lounge back in 2019, so you should be OK. Domestically, they have a 3-4 hour max, and I have scanned red before being waved in by staff.

IF bags checked through then you could remain airside and get to departures via a security check.

But seems more likely you’ll need to enter NZ and check in. You should be able to do this right away. For J there is a separate, private area to do this adjacent to the economy checkin area.