FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight pass price increases (2022-23)
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:17 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
The BC and Alberta Energy passes have become almost unbuyable based on the new pricing. The Western Commuter covers almost all the same destinations for almost half the price. Yes the Energy passes can be purchased as 4 credits, but as stated, unless one is flying last minute, they really don't make sense anymore.

I would assume AC keeps track on the uptake - curious if they could be repriced downward if they are no longer purchased.
Even flying last-minute, I think they only make sense to the outstations. The Flex version works out to $577.50 per credit. It's incredibly rare for YYC-YVR/YYJ/YCD to be that high unless it's like Y1 B1 M0, in which case you couldn't use a Flex FP anyway. That price is also higher than the East-West Connector cost. So not only could you buy a Western Commuter for something like YYC-YVR for less, you could also use frigging EW Connector credits and still be cheaper than that AB Energy pass. I can understand paying a bit of a premium for only needing to commit to 4/8 credits, but that's just stupid.

I can understand AC not wanting to lose out on $800 last-minute YQU-YXS fares, but it would be nice if we had a sort of Rapidair West pass for those of us who just wanted to fly around the western triangle.