FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:35 am
DinSC

Originally Posted by tfizzle
Gotta, say I think the rocket miles/ BookAA is going to go away. 3 months ago, I was sitting 10,000 points short of gold and now I'm only 13,000 lps short of Plat Pro which I will get in january with a quick Cabo flight and miles. All told, I will have earned 61,000 LP from rocket miles on spend of about $2500. there is no way I could have earned that much flying. Right now the hotel miles are the golden goose.

I was wondering the same but thought really what does status really cost the airlines? I mean is it really that much, especially if you aren't flying a ton?? I can upgrade to 1st from economy for $145 on my next flight. My Mom just paid $50 to upgrade to 1st class on a 2 segment flight on Alaska so it's not like they're going to have any seats for people to upgrade to on status alone soon I imagine and how much extra does that really cost anyways. I think as long as they can justify the cost of the miles they're giving it'll stick around. It does seem crazy that you can earn 5,000 miles on a $200 room though so it makes me wonder if the amount of points they offer will lower over time but I don't know if that's necessarily AA themselves or the hotels offering the points. In any event it's helping me get status back after losing it from Covid and not flying international for so long. You don't realize how much harder it is to get status when you don't have a 80% bonus .