FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HSBC launching Star Alliance credit card in Australia (earn AC 50K status via spend)
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:27 pm
D582

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They give you *G via one of the member programs. Such as Aeroplan.
It's either *S or *G depending on threshold hit (A$30k or A$60k), which for AC is currently 25K or 50K status. I guess nothing would preclude them from creating special tiers that just confer *S and *G with normal entitlements but without any AC extras (e.g. eUpgrades).

Originally Posted by dr_torch
Well $4000AUS is not bad to get *G for one year.

The transfer value into AE is not very good though. I wonder if HSBC will introduce anything similar in Canada.
*A wants to make some revenue from this card so they need 'keep' something before buying points from the programmes.

Ignoring the fact that HSBC is considering selling its Canadian business, I don't see *A launching the card in markets with dominant *A presence and a local *A carrier credit card product. If anything were to launch in Canada, I would bet at most it would allow conversion to some other *A programmes, but not Aeroplan. AC wants Canadians to engage with Aeroplan via its own credit cards.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 15, 2022 at 9:01 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user