FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newark vs JFK
Thread: Newark vs JFK
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:14 pm
steveholt

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by truncated
As others have mentioned upthread the problem with NJ Transit from EWR is that at off-peak periods there are ~40 minute gaps in the schedule between Newark Airport and NY Penn (which you're not seeing if you're searching at 5pm Eastern), so if you happen to miss the AirTrain (or if it breaks down, or is full) you'll end up stuck on the platform waiting for ~40 minutes (and I've done that before and it's not fun). Whereas the LIRR between Jamaica and Penn is much more regular (typically <20 minute intervals between trains), plus you have the option of the E train as well.

IMO the only instance EWR might be superior to JFK from a public transport perspective is if you're connecting to/from Amtrak to points south or north of NYC, and that's only if you can find a Regional that stops at EWR and works with your schedule, while at all other times JFK is at least comparable to if not better than EWR if your final destination is in Manhattan.
I will say that I've dealt with broken-down SkyTrains at JFK (and witnessed violent behavior) before and haven't had those issues at EWR, so my experience may be different. It is true that the E line is an alternative, but that's 75 minutes through Queens.