FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:37 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by LReyes66
​​​​​Iah to Den next Wednesday with my fiancee and I. Premier 1K, fare type K in a 777-200 aircraft.

I typically don't have trouble getting a upgrade when I go to Denver for work. But since my fiancee and I are going for vacation, I wanted to secure a upgrade so I requested to also use PP when I booked the fare. I changed my phone date manually to a week ahead so I can see the list. Currently # 3-4 with 11 business class seats open. ​​​​​​I'm curious what our position would be if I didn't request to use PP.

if I remove the PP request to see where it gets us in line, would I be put back in spots 3 and 4 if I were to re add the PP request?
That's not guaranteed. Any other 1K on a K fare who requested PP upgrade would be above you if you cancel and re-request.

Most important question is how deep is the list right now? #3-4 has a decent chance of the upgrade but only at T-24h IMO. If there are already 50+ people on the list, which is very normal for a hub-hub 777, you can guess that a 1K on a K fare will drop to the mid-high teens.

If you cancel and re-request I'd guess you wouldn't lose more than 1-2 spots, if any at all. If it's worth it to you then go ahead. But, again, a deep upgrade list will basically guarantee you drop so far down that you have no chance. I just did DEN-EWR on a 789 and was #15 on the list out of 54 (no PP). Luckily 19 seats were open up front so I got upgraded at the 24h mark.

-RM