FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Sabbatical - Olafman’s solo journey of enlightenment and improvement
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:14 am
olafman

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
Great update. i spent a few days wondering when we would see an update :-)

At the pubs, is there a charge for the pintxos or are they included with the drinks? I just can’t recall as I haven’t been to Europe in ages - Sf private school costs more than a European trip a year.
Yes, I know I am a bit late in updates. The biggest issue is that there aren't enough hours in the day. I have figured out that I need to be in a special state of mind to write and reflect. It's not something you can force. In Spain that was often towards the end of a day, in a nice outdoor cafe drinking a caña. I am currently down in South Africa for the month and our days are so full, that I barely can quickly write down brief notes. These are good problems to have. Now we are out at my friend's weekend house about 1.5 hours north of Cape Town. Everyone is out surf skiing and sailing so I have a quiet moment to myself and my writing. It feels so good.

A quiet moment in Southern Africa to catch up on my writing

In many cities in Spain, you can ask for some complimentary nibbly bits, "Puedes ponerme algún aperativo?" This will yield you some olives, potato chips, a slice or two of jamón, or nuts. But pintxos are a whole other level and you pay something for them. But they are not expensive in the least. So worth every euro and every bite.

SPOILER ALERT:
I leave for Dubai and Thailand next weekend! My big decision is that I have added some time in India too! I am going to Mumbai and then a wedding in Jaipur in two weeks! I grabbed some Singapore New A380 Suites flights to get me and back there making it even more exciting. This year is about seizing the moment and seeing where the wind blows me. And it looks like it's blowing a little off course but destined for even more fun and adventure.

When I was back in Spain for September, those winds unexpectantly took me to Marrakesh, Morocco! In spite of my hyper organization, I have begun to become more impetuous and accept changes. It worked out wonderfully there and I ended up having a magical time.

So four months into this adventure, I am doing great and am incredibly happy.