FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:35 pm
Rossodio

Programs: AA EXP
AAdvantage award travel - first class... is it Flagship? (AA20 DFW->LHR on 777)

*edit: it is a 777-300er; can't edit the subject line

When looking to book award travel (multi city to LHR and then to NAP from GSP), I have an opportunity as part of the trip to go on AA20 from DFW to LHR (and reverse on the return flight) which, when booking as a standard itinerary (not using award miles) shows the flight as a Flagship First Class ticket when booking in the first class cabin. When booked using award travel, it is not showing on aa.com as being Flagship (though still showing as First Class on the same flight in this itinerary). Is this just a bug with the booking system? Would I still get Flagship perks, like Flagship check in, flagship dining in DFW, the first class/flagship equivalent lounge at LHR, and everything else that Flagship nets you, if I booked using award travel? Specifics on differences of what I would get from booking officially Flagship versus award first class booking would be helpful...

For what it is worth, I am EXP with AA (for this first time this year due to spend on co-branded card, I don't fly enough to qualify otherwise) which I know affords some OneWorld status perks on international itineraries. I am basically in this post trying to determine whether it is worth my time or effort to ensure that the booking actually says Flagship on it in the first place when I make it. The booking *will* be made using award miles at the end of the day. As an offshoot to the question I just posted, if it did not end up being a true Flagship First booking, if there is virtually zero other difference in booking the first class product compared with the business class product, I could save a ton of miles by booking the business class product. As context, this is for a 10th anniversary trip with my spouse, so even if the benefits of first over business are somewhat marginal, it may still be worth it to me to plonk down the extra miles on the booking. I would obviously want to be in a seating situation on the plane where I can interact with my spouse, ideally be next to and/or face them when seated. The AA20 flight I would take at least in one direction would be an overnight flight. Wondering about differences between first and business on the flight.

Last edited by Rossodio; Oct 17, 2022 at 3:03 pm