FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:48 am
BA850

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
More like putting a bullet through the head. Never underestimate the Dutch government's capacity and determination to wreck their own country. They are more than happy to flush the economy and their citizen's prosperity down the drain in their pursuit of some sort of chimerical climate carbon goal.

Having said that, I would personally be perfectly happy with that capacity cap. Schiphol is a disaster now, but before the pandemic it was pretty bad too. More pax than it could handle; and it only took a few snowflakes, a patch of fog or a gust of wind for everything to go haywire for a whole day or longer. A pax limit that leaves the airport with plenty of redundancy sounds good to me (and sucks for KLM and the Dutch economy).

Johan
Things are certainly more extreme in NL, but I fear it's a Europe-wide malaise.

The new British government is fortunately less inclined to sacrifice business at the altar of climate change than its predecessors, but if they really wanted to make a statement, they'd either lean into Heathrow expansion or sanction construction of a new hub in the Thames Estuary and then exploit the Dutch government's craziness by inviting KLM to establish a UK-based subsidiary (à la Aer Lingus) and open a secondary hub on the other side of the channel