FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about minimum connection time in Dublin
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:20 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
So I'm guessing, I should be fine and the 1hr connection is legal, right?
You have taken the place of the "airline" here, so it no longer really matters what they think is "legal" - the question is, how are you set up, in comparison to that airline, and what is your risk level and tolerance for gambling on a connection of that short duration?

If you have the same resources behind you as an airline does, then you can just choose to set your own MCT as the airline does, because you have the same resources to book and pay for a new ticket if your connection goes awry. Recovering from a missed connection will be easy for you. You have access to industry rates on other carriers and can make a last minute replacement booking, as needed, at a negotiated rate that is not the same as the walk-up public fare that a regular passenger would be asked to pay.

If you don't have the same resources behind you as an airline does - meaning you won't be able to mobilise yourself to book a new, replacement ticket at a tolerable rate in a timely manner after your connection goes wrong, then it would behoove you to set yourself a much more stringent MCT which allows you a much greater chance of making your connection in case of disruption. Note that any other sectors on the same ticket as the flight you miss will also be cancelled.

Personally, I would never book two separate tickets with only 1 hour between them, even in DUB (an airport I know like the back of my hand) and even if travelling with only handluggage. I'd even be wary of booking an itinerary offered by an airline with just 1 hour to connect.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 7, 2022 at 1:26 am