FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:27 pm
calmasahinducow

I spent 25 days in Honolulu for work and this thread was very helpful for deciding where to eat. Some notes:

The good:
Mud Hen Water - excellent! Beet poke was great.
Feast - Very solid lobster roll and fries. The shwarma was also good but it's not really shwarma, more like grilled chicken.
Momosan - consistently solid for takeout in Waikiki.
Zigu - small Japanese place in the middle of Waikiki that I got takeout from a few times and which was always very good. The mochiko chicken plate is excellent.
Marugame Udon - there's a line out this place every night. I got it to go via an online order and it was legitimately delicious. The only problem with takeout is that they serve it in a large cup instead of a bowl.
Poke Fix Hawaii - solid poke in Waikiki.
Maguro Spot - another solid poke place in Waikiki.
Bella Banh Mi - best banh mi I have had outside of Hoi An.
Butcher and the Bird - one of the best cheesesteaks I have ever had.
Broken Boundary Brewery - beers are good. I only had the salad to eat, but it was fine.
Taqueria El Gallo Rosa (Kailua) - solid tacos.
Teishoku - had lunch here a few times because it was close to work.
Nico's at Pier 38 - ate here at least 6 times due to proximity to work and never had a bad meal there.

Ok:
Paris Cafe - decent banh mi, nowhere near as good as Bella. Cash only is annoying.
EARL Kaka'ako - This was ok. My friend that lives there assures me it's better than what I thought it was. Don't get the French Dip I guess.
Heavenly Island Lifestyle - another decent place in Waikiki.

Not good:
Tim Ho Wan - was not impressed compared to my experience in Singapore.
Maui Brewing Company (Waikiki) - not very good beer and food was bad.
Honolulu Beerworks - the 2 beers I had there were mediocre.
Hana Koa Brewery - I did have a good beer from here at the beer garden in Kahuku, but the Honolulu location didn't have good beer or food.
King of Thai Boat Noodles Waikiki - messed up my takeout order, then fixed it and it was still mediocre. The duck curry did not have nearly enough duck in it.

Overall I feel that Honolulu is probably one of the best food cities I have ever been to.