FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:25 pm
Raralith

Programs: AA EXP
My wife and I just booked RT LAX-HND for 02/03/23 (AA 169) - 02/11/23 (AA26) in MCE and plan using 4x SWU for J on all legs; showed 4 out of 20 seats taken in J for both flights. I called AA and had them apply my SWU, they stated no inventory, but it's 4 months so it's a possibility that some will open up. This threads been great (along with Japan destination forum) with info and I wanted to make sure I got it right since I'm in the 24 hour window.
1. Inventory can open up anytime and it's an automated process so there's nothing more to do on my part. I also have a high chance since I'm EXP with over 250k LP right now.
2. If only 1 slot opens, I still want the SWU for my wife (I fly domestic often so I don't care about the seat), but I don't see anywhere if a pair is required or if 1 can go solo while the other is in MCE
3. Seems likely that SWU will go through? If so, is it just a crapshoot if inventory will be available a month from now, a month before, T-100 or at the gate? I know the country is barely opening so there may be more interest, but I'm hoping now since February is off peak.
I'd greatly appreciate any other bits of advice or insight. Thanks again!