FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:17 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flyhigh123
\AC claims they can change the schedule 15 days before departure and I have to accept the impact or cancel the ticket and seek a refund.
That's not really true. Have you looked at options to re-route? AC will want to try to keep you on AC metal across the Pacific, but there may be other options than overnighting at YVR. You haven't mentioned whether this a revenue ticket or a points ticket. There's more latitude if it's the former, as the latter may depend on finding reward space. If it's an Aeroplan ticket, space is not an issue on AC metal.

If the UA flight that @HerpaYvr mentioned is running on the day you were due to fly, that would be a relatively painless option. Depending on your dates, DEN-YYZ-ICN might work. Or you may be able to do something like DEN-SFO-YVR-ICN.

Do some research to see what else might be available, then call in and ask for it. I'm sure the FT community would be happy to provide feedback on your proposed options before you call.

They also changed a flight on a trip to LIS in a few weeks, adding 5 hours to a layover. I’m *alliance gold but these are my first AC flights.
Again, you can ask for a re-route and potentially find something that works better for you.

Originally Posted by Nick0
Yes, and they've been great about it. I'm 75K so not sure if it impacts how I'm treated. However, they paid me within 5mins of sending in a request for an overnight stay on Sunday night.

Book the hotel yourself and put in the request. Keep it around $300/night if you can.

Lufthansa and other carriers on the otherhand... I've had difficulties getting full compensation, let alone getting it within a matter of two months.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT