FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:56 pm
Sandeep1

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm the midst of an odd debate with Singapore Airlines.

I booked a redemption award for 39,000 miles in May.

I voluntarily canceled the booking in July.

I did not get 39,000 miles.

I only got about 15,000 miles back, and my account statement reflects -24,000 due to expiration of miles.

I have called the US number a few times, and I'm usually told the redemption agents are unavailable.

Today I got a hold of a redemption agent who at first was adamant that my miles expired.

I pointed out that Singapore has announced that no miles would expire in 2022 and she said that's just for unused miles, once you use them then they can still expire if you cancel the redemption ticket.

That sounds like nonsense to me. The Singapore Airlines announcement in January was that "no miles will expire in 2022," it seems unreasonable that they would now tell me that my miles . . . expired in 2022.

https://mainlymiles.com/2022/01/13/s...-january-2023/

I argued a bit more and she said she would "escalate" this but no guarantee I would get the miles as she still seems to think this a is a righteous forfeiture and expiration of my miles due to my voluntarily cancellation of my ticket.

Any advice here? Has anyone dealt with this? They can be right, can they?
By chance, was your flight departing and/or returning to the U.S? If yes, you could try a DOT complaint. I brought Singapore to their knees several years ago when all other avenues had failed.