FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Brass Championships, Secret Airports of the Ruhr, Fine Wines of Bordeaux
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:13 pm
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
24. ZBL-SIR Private Plane (F) PP005

LSGS - SIR Sion CH (UTC+1)
LSTA - ZBL Raron CH (UTC+1)

We just had time to finish our mineral water and Swiss Rivella drinks before we bade farewell to our newfound friends with yellow sunglasses (you know the sort). The time was 12h45 and the airfield at Raron is officially closed between 12h00 and 13h30, for noise protection reasons. So we had to take off promptly and the American glider pilot in front of us was still doing his preflight preparations. We managed to get ATC permission to take off in the opposite direction to that in which we landed, on runway 10. In the end we commenced takeoff at 11h57 and we were airborne all of one minute later. After a sharp turn, following the terrain of the valley walls looming closer and closer, we gained height and flew in the direction of the first waypoint of E1 at Sierre. There were great views on the right side of Crans Montana and the mountains behind, where much of the snow appeared to have melted except for the highest glaciers. By the time we reached waypoint E2, which is St Léonard, we had dropped height considerably and many details on the ground could clearly be seen, such as the vineyards around Grimisuat and the Bisse de Claivau. If ever you find yourself in Sion that is a walk you absolutely must do, following an ancient water course through the vineyards. I could even make out the building of the Conservatoire, including the windows of the room where Jean teaches his classes! We banked to the right over the hospital and lined up with the runway, coming in for a perfect landing. After we parked the plane, I helped Jean to clean it before the instructor was due to use it, just a half hour later. This business of cleaning was barely necessary in January, but in the summer the aircraft becomes spattered with flies and other insects.

There were a lot of model planes and helicopters at Raron airfield

A view of the buvette at Raron, which offered drinks and snacks, with the model plane freaks just outside

First of a couple of pics of me as we near the end of this trip report

A look down the runway at Raron although you can't see how short it is here; there is a midday curfew so we took off just before it started, with take-off at 11h57

A railway viaduct is visible on what used to be the mainline between Berne and Brig; nowadays most rail traffic passes through the Lötschberg basis tunnel under the Alps

Vineyards approaching Sion, with Grimisuat on the right and the airport of Sion just visible extreme left

Lining up the runway at Sion airport in the distance

A very clear view of the city of Sion

Final approach into Sion SIR airport

I set about cleaning the aircraft from all the splattered insects

Rating 10*
Aircraft DR40
Registration HB-KFQ

Last edited by Concerto; Sep 27, 2022 at 8:52 am