FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC B777 vs. LH A340 in economy
View Single Post
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:17 pm
yulred

Originally Posted by Nayef
I haven't flowing AC outside of North America so I wanted to get some insight.

I'm planning to fly out of YVR to FRA in the first week of December. My options are either nonstop on LH on an A340 or AC on a B777-3000ER (connecting in YUL). Both AC legs YVR-YUL and YUL-FRA are on B777s, but the connection time at YUL is only an hour. I'm used to flying LH for 15 years and their service the past year or so has not been great. I know many on FT, especially in the Canada forum, deride flying AC, but I'd like some insight if anyone can compare LH and AC as TATL services, and the economy seat, food offerings, etc. I've read that AC offers pancakes as breakfast food and to me that's already a step up from LH (if that's still the case). Of course I'd prefer the convenience of going nonstop with LH, especially since it departs at 2 pm instead of the AC YVR-YUL flight at 9:30 am, but I'm eager to try AC on a long, intercontinental flight.

Thanks in advance.
Unless you’re trying to collect SQMs/SQDs, go with the LH direct flight. Here’s why:

Seat: AC 777Y is 10 across (3-4-3); LH 340 is 2-4-2. The seat width on AC 777s is worse than on any AC or LH airbus. This is compounded by a relatively worse Y pax to Y restroom ratio. The 777 cabins are jammed in tight, which also tends to be a problem for overhead space.

Catering: AC Y TATL catering is bottom-of-the-barrel - think AA/UA in 2010s. LH Y catering is generally superior on quality and quantity. For example, AC Y does not offer cheese and crackers, which LH does. In addition, YVR-YUL is strictly buy on board, which can be a slow and tedious process depending on where you sit. Not sure why you think AC is serving pancakes in Y. It’s improved from the infamous (and inedible) banana bread to a croissant and yogurt, but LH will be at least the same.

Here’s a relatively recent trip report of the TATL Y catering going into YUL to give you an idea of how AC caters TATL Y:

https://www.businessinsider.com/flew...iew-2022-7?amp

There are any number of videos on YouTube that can also give you a better idea.

IFE: is a wash. LH tends to have a slightly bigger selection, but AC has more interesting stuff (YMMV).

Cabin upkeep/cleanliness: is generally a lot better on LH than on AC. It’s a more “premium” carrier in that sense.

Connection: a 1 hr connection at YUL is just about doable in normal times. But these aren’t normal times. You might make it, but your bags might not. The odds of delays are high (although that might work in your favour).

Unless you’re chasing status, going through YUL is akin to afflicting punishment on yourself. More time in a tighter seat, worse catering (none on the first leg), lower washroom ratios (aka line ups) etc - not worth your time or money. It’s one of the worst TATL Y products these days - and that’s without factoring in OTP problems at Canadian airport. I’d pay a big premium to avoid that connection. AC Y makes LH Y look very good in comparison (despite LH’s very mediocre product and longstanding contempt for Y passengers).

Ditto for PY, but AC J is better than LH J. And you’ll get pancakes in J on YVR-YUL.

Last edited by yulred; Sep 25, 2022 at 10:23 pm