FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:07 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lunchtime
any idea when they start to clear miles upgrades? According to wiki my miles upgrade should clear before any status upgrades right? Still a lot of seats open 7 even if the 5 somehow got filled
If you'd like to give the flight information, people can probably give you a pretty good guess as to your likeliness of clearing. It is very much if, not when. Without it, the best anyone can do is offer generalities.

As for what you're calling "status upgrades," I assume you mean complimentary upgrades (CPUs), and the answer is that you will be behind Global Service CPUs as well as 1K members on a Y/B/M instant upgrade -- but also that not all flights are CPU / instant upgrade eligible.

If you had to put in a miles upgrade on full Y, I assume it's either not a CPU route or you don't have status. If you don't have status, note that any instrument upgrade by anyone with status will clear ahead of you also.

On most flights, UA has been clearing down to 2 open seats 24 hours prior to departure, but that's far from a hard-and-fast rule.