FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:28 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Kettle flying UA for only the second time next month. I've got a very early flight from my outstation to ORD, then a 3.75 hour layover before continuing on to MCO. There is an earlier flight to MCO that is scheduled to take off 25 minutes after I land at ORD. I know I can't make that if both flights are on time, but if the earlier flight gets delayed to make the 60 minute minimum would I be able to SB on that flight? Would my checked bag make it? Or should I just absolutely resign myself to being on the 753 later?
If the earlier flight is delayed, you would be able to change to it if a seat is available in your fare class and if you find an agent who's in a good mood.

Flying standby with a checked bag is extremely difficult, as most agents will flat-out refuse. There's no realistic way to tag a bag as standby after check-in, and there wouldn't be time to re-tag the bag. The funny thing is, SOP is for them to put the bag onto the next departing flight anyway. They'd rather have the bag early at your destination than sitting around the baggage room at ORD. If you manage to get someone to do it, you will probably need to sign a baggage waiver and disclaim delivery -- you'll need to go back to the airport to get the bag yourself.

If you want to try this, consider traveling with only a carry-on. If you need more luggage than that, ask yourself if FedEx or UPS might be worth it, considering that you'll be saving the checked baggage fee.

Note that none of this will work if you booked their discount Basic Economy ticket, which doesn't allow carry-on bags or changes.