FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:58 am
Adelphos

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For sub-Platinum customers with a big balance of Marriott points, picking up this credit card can be part of a useful strategy to get better value out of points redemptions for hotel award nights.
Not just points bookings - cash as well.

I stay 20-25 nights a year at Marriott, with comparable numbers nights in other programs. My travel is increasing, but I will continue to split programs. I have this card, and I had a mix of points, cash and corporate bookings at Marriott already scheduled the next couple of months. Now all of the bookings have some kind of breakfast benefit, one now has access to a good lounge, etc. Even getting 25% more in points on a corporate booking (i.e. not my money, not my card) adds value.

The last one is what a lot of analyses ignore... A general member staying 10 night a year at Marriott attending meetings/conventions at $400 a night, and paying with a corporate card, earns 40,000 points. A Platinum member earns 60,000 points on the same stays; that's $140 in value. That, combined with a dining credit and an 85K cert, can start tipping the scales in favor of holding this card. And that is before factoring in stuff like Platinum benefits.