FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:10 am
lawly

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
yeah but what would they know? /s

this is in part why the misinformation has to be countered. People have heard this “but you’ll die if someone 30 rows back on the plane opens a bag of nuts” so many times that they now have medical sequelae to an entirely non-existent thing. It’s literally mass hysteria. It has to be called out literally every time it is brought up. Ideally there’d be mass advertising and a rollback of any existing nut free airline policies but I’m a realist and know that won’t happen
I think education is part of the solution. However think of it like a fear of flying.. There are people that are terrified of flying.. They might need meds or alcohol to help. Even though that person knows flying is the safest form of travel, and even though they've watched the YouTube videos from pilots explaining all the accelerations and sounds they may feel and hear, anxiety still rears its ugly head. I still sometimes get shortness of breath or a pounding heart when there are open air nuts near me, even though I know that they can't harm me.

I dont know what the solution is for closed spaces like planes and allergies. The population with allergies is so small that it doesn't make sense to make airline wide bans, but it does kinda suck if you have the allergy and get anxiety from airborne smell which most do.