FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:40 am
EXP100

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
So I was on vacation in Bonaire and while I was there I hit 30,000 loyalty points and received gold status. This is the first time I have hit priority status with AA. I ended up actually getting automatically upgraded on my flight from MIA to RDU. Plus was able to upgrade to the bulkhead in economy plus - as a tall guy, this was a nice perk.

My question- what percentage of the time can I expect to get upgraded on gold status? I have another RDU to CLT to CUN, then CUN to RDU flight coming up in 6 weeks, so that will be a test to see how often it happens. I am planning out my CC spend to see where I want to direct points, with daycare being charged to CC- that is 15k a year which should make getting 30k loyalty points easy if I so choose.

FWIW - when I was upgraded I sat next to a flight attendant who was being shuttled home, so I assume there weren't many upgrade requests if they gave a FA a business class seat.

Also, dumb question for a newbie to status - when you say 2/11, or 9/12 - does that mean you were 2nd out of 11 people requesting upgrades? If so, where you can you find this information on the app?

thanks all!
As a GLD I wouldn't expect much more than a 25% success rate overall, if that. Yes 2/11 would mean you were second on the list with 11 people requesting an upgrade. The information is displayed on the mobile app starting around T-12 (sometimes not until around T-4) when you pull up the flight. You can also toggle to the standby list. Remember names do not appear on the list until the passenger actually checks in.